The Forest Botany Branch of Pakistan Forest Institute (PFI) was established in January 1949. Since its inception, the branch is actively engaged in research and education in the field of Forest Botany and allied disciplines.
- To conduct vegetation surveys and explores plant wealth.
- To establish and maintain herbarium as plant library for identification, references and record of flora of Pakistan.
- To establish and maintain Botanical garden (living plant museum) of rare and endangered plant species to conserve plant diversity for future prosperity and to impart practical training to forestry students in ecology and Taxonomy subjects.
- Teaching Forest Botany, Taxonomy and allied subjects to M.Sc. and B.Sc. forestry classes.
- Coordination and collaboration with provincial Forest Departments in solving vegetation related problems.
- Advisory services to the Government, NGO and concerned quarters.