SALIENT ACHIEVEMENTS OF PFI
- Development of nursery techniques for
various tree species e.g. Juniper, Poplar, Eucalypts,
Acacias and Paulownia.
- Multiplication of fast growing
multipurpose tree species such as: Poplar, Eucalypts,
Acacias etc. and their incorporation into the farming
systems in the country.
- Development of techniques for
afforestation in arid, semi-arid, saline and waterlogged
areas and selection of suitable tree species for these sites
e.g. Eucalyptus camaldulensis, Albizzia procera, Tamarix
aphylla, Acacia cyanophylla, A. tortilis, A. victoriae,
Prosopis cineraria, P. juliflora, Salvadora oleoides.
- Collection and distribution of quality
seed and planting material to Provincial Forest Departments,
Defence Organizations, NGOs and farmers.
- Introduction of Shisham seed source with
straight boles from Nepal.
- Selection and propagation of high
yielding forage/fodder grass and tree species.
- Determination of various watershed
treatments in reducing the surface runoff and enhancing the
infiltration in the catchments especially in Mangla
- Preparation of volume tables of all
commercial forest and farmland tree species.
- Preparation of yield tables of Chir pine
and Blue pine.
- Compilation of forestry statistics of
- Determination of technological properties
of about 45 commercial and non-commercial timber species.
- Development of wood preservation and
seasoning techniques for increasing durability.
- Efficient utilization of wood of various
tree species for different wood-based products.
- Determination of suitability of various
woods for pulp and paper manufacturing.
- Development of solar kiln for wood
- Development of Shisham model nursery
using quality seed from plus trees at PFI and Changa Manga.
- Regeneration and conservation of eight
rare and endangered medicinal plant species (Angore-Shifa,
Ratan Joth, Chora, Mamekh, Bankakri, Mushk-bala,
Ajwain-khurasani and Revand-chini).
- Development of production techniques for
five important medicinal plants i.e Kalongi, Alsi, Isabghol,
Bapchi and Resha-Khatmi.
- Control of forest diseases and insect
pests in Shisham, Poplar, Kail, Oak, and Chir forests in the
- Control of mistletoe in Juniper forests,
- Analysis of various grasses for their
nutrient and tannin contents.
- Production of disease free silk-seed.
- Establishment of six early sprouting
Japanese mulberry varieties for silkworm rearing.
- Establishment of Botanical Garden and
ACHIEVEMENTS OF (FSR&D) PROJECT
A. Development of Infrastructure
Establishment of meteorological observatory at PFI.
- Establishment of training/conference room at PFI.
- Computer Networking of PFI.
- Installation of Digital Exchange at PFI.
- Replacement of Sewerage and Sui Gas pipeline in the PFI campus.
- Construction of:
- Glass house in Research Garden at PFI.
- Boundary wall around residential and experimental areas.
- Irrigation water channels in research nurseries and field experimental areas.
- Sprinkler irrigation system for containerized nursery.
- Metalled road around PFI main building and campus.
- Repair and improvement of PFI main building and Field stations.
B. Human Resource Development
Recruitment of staff
- Recruitment of consultants and staff is under process
- Foreign trainings (2 PhD, 3 MS)
- Specialized local trainings
No. of course
No. of participants
1: Library and Extension Services
- Procurement of 233 text and reference books.
- Abstracting, Indexing and Classification of about 13,980 articles and books.
- Computerization of 1,790 articles of Pakistan Journal of Forestry.
- Development of PFI Website.
Sub-Project 2. Tree Improvement
- Selection of 314 superior trees of Shisham, Paulownia, Neem, Chalghoza, Almond and Walnut in various parts of the country.
- Selection of 71 die-back resistant trees of Shisham in Punjab and NWFP.
- Collection of 1158 kg Seed of Neem, Shisham, Paulownia, Walnut, Almond and Chalghoza pine.
- Establishment and maintenance of 7 nurseries of various tree species at PFI, D.I. Khan, Chichawatni, Changa Manga, Sheringal, Bhurban and Hyderabad.
- Establishment of 10 field trials including 3 trials of Neem, two test plantations of Paulownia, two progeny test-cum-seed orchards of shisham and three species comparative trials in various ecological zones.
- Establishment of shisham model nursery in Changa Manga using seed of plus & die-back resistant trees for producing quality planting stock.
- Establishment of a field trail for testing 3 sources of grafted Olea europea under drip-irrigation system.
Sub-Project 3: Water Use Efficiency
- Planting of 3360 plants for determination of optimum water requirement of Shisham, Paulownia, Poplar, Semal, Mulberry and Eucalyptus on 2.1 hectares.
- Application of 4 irrigation treatments (300, 600, 900 and 1200 mm per annum) to each tree species.
- Collection of growth data of trees of
- Different species for comparison.
Sub-Project 4: Wildlife
- Conducted surveys of Waterfowls
in 19 Ramsar sites of Pakistan.
- Survey of Migratory Cranes on 3 sites in NWFP and Punjab.
- Identification of 4 Hot spots of Falcon trapping areas in NWFP.
- Compilation and publication of Wildlife Acts and Rules of Pakistan
- Digitization, updating and printing of 7 existing wildlife distribution and status maps of Pakistan (NWFP, Punjab, Balochistan, Sindh, Northern Areas and AJK)
Sub-Project 5: Forest Protection
- Survey of 40,781 poplar trees in 12 plantations for borer’s infestation in the country.
- Collection of 3574 insects for pest monitoring, identification and preservation.
- Establishment of 4 field trials against termites at Peshawar, Islamabad, Bhurban and Faisalabad.
- Laboratory and field trials for the control of forest diseases.
- Survey of 4 sites for identification of causal agents of Shisham die-back.
Sub-Project 6: GIS & Remote Sensing
- Establishment of National level GIS/RS Centre for data base at PFI, Peshawar